You are in: OneThetford » Organisations » Staniforth Trust

G.W. Staniforth Trust

The G.W. Staniforth Charity is was established as the result of a bequest by George W. Staniforth, who left King's House and Gardens, together with some other land and property, to the Borough of Thetford in 1946. The Charity uses the working name of "The Staniforth Trust". Its objectives are to preserve and maintain King's House and King's House Gardens for the benefit of the townspeople of Thetford.

The charity's trustees are the elected members of Thetford Town Council, together with the Town Council itself as a corporate trustee. Day-to-Day management of the Charity is delegated to a management board, which comprises the elected town councillors and six co-opted members. The Town Council Clerk acts as Clerk to the Charity.

In the 2020/21 Annual report, seven current co-opted members were listed: Bryan Skull, Pat Pearson, Sylvia Armes, Mac McDonald, Nick Chapman, Sharon Nash, and Emma Kelly. The Chair of the Management Board was listed as Cllr Stuart Wright.

King's House Gardens are open to the public every day except Christmas Day. Space in King's house is rented to the Town Council and other private tenants to fund the upkeep of the House and grounds. The tennis courts and bowling green are rented to clubs at a peppercorn rate.

Bowling Club Rent Controversy

In July 2022 it was revealed that the Trust was imposing a 1200% rent increase on the Staniforth Bowling Club — from £300 to £3,950 a year. The Club said this would be unaffordable, and would force it to close.